Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Intentional Eating

In the spirit of choosing to live intentionally, today I am thinking about making healthy food choices. Early Morning Musings has a great post today that put into words a lot of what I've been thinking. I want to get away from eating packaged foods that contain all sorts of mysterious ingredients. I've watched several shows recently that explain the benefits of eating lots of fruits and veggies and avoiding the types of fats, preservatives, etc. that are in so many of the packaged foods we buy. I'm just beginning to think more about what my family is eating, so I feel like I have miles to go before I really understand how to make the best food choices, but I have to start somewhere. I will be getting Michael Pollen's book "The Omnivore's Dilemma" from the library soon, and I am really excited to learn more about what he has to say.

Thankfully I don't think it will be hard to get my husband on board with the idea. He already chooses fresh fruits and veggies when he wants to snack. I'm afraid the person who will really need convincing is me... My natural inclination when I want a snack is NOT to reach for an apple. I am hopeful, though, that if I can retrain myself, my daughter will reap the benefits of a healthier lifestyle as well. Since she hasn't started eating solid foods yet, I haven't had a chance to teach her any of my not-so-healthy habits. Here's to being intentional about choosing healthy foods!!

1 comment:

  1. Nothing like a precious child to be responsible for to make you take life more seriously...it's so much easier to be good for their sakes than for our own! Keep me updated with things you learn and recipes you try, etc. I'm such a beginner myself I have lots to learn. You've got a good resource in your husband... (he grew up making his own mayonnaise...he's miles ahead of us Americans! and what did he use to season that mayonnaise, by the way?) Have fun! I look forward to traveling this journey with you. (=

    ReplyDelete