Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Bargain Hunting

I've gotten away from doing too many deals at Walgreens and CVS lately. Honestly, I'm still just not that good at figuring out exactly what I'm going to spend and how I'm going to come out ahead. That, coupled with forgetting to use the ExtraBucks or Register Rewards before they expire, and I got a little burned out.

My appetite was whetted yet again, however, a couple weeks ago when Jewel paid me $3 to take 6 boxes of Breyer's ice-cream off of their hands. I bought 6 boxes on sale for about $12, and got $15 in catalina coupons toward my next purchase. I turned around and got $15 worth of groceries that I needed anyway, so I didn't have to worry about the coupons expiring on me.

I also spent the past few days organizing a new system for my coupons. I had been using a system recommended by CouponMom, but I never really knew what coupons I had, and it was time-consuming to find what I needed when I needed it. So now, I've switched to the method used by MoneySavingMom, and have a coupon box which looks like this:


All my coupons are organized in envelopes by category and sub-category, so I know right where to look for whatever I need. I'm loving it already!

So today I ventured out on a bargain hunting adventure. I didn't get any huge steals, but I did get some pretty good deals on things that I know I will use.

Here's what I got at Target:

2 Glade Scented Oil Tins - $3.09 each
3 Glade Scented Oil Refills - $2.50 each
Total: $13.68

With coupons, I paid just $5.46 total, plus I can send in for this SCJohnson Rebate and get $5 back. It'll end up costing me just $0.46 for all these candles! Yay! =)

At Walgreens, I did 3 transactions:

Transaction 1:

2 Nyquil @ $5.99 each.
Used $1.50/1 and $1/1 coupons.
Paid $9.75 and got $5 Register Reward = $2.38 each

Transaction 2:

3 Tylenol Cold @ $4.99 each
1 Sudafed PE @ $5.99 each
Used $3/2, $2/1, and $1/1 coupons.
Paid $15.43 and got back $10 Register Rewards = $1.36 each

Transaction 3 (S'more was happy to get in on the photo-taking action):


2 Gold Medal Flour @ $3.39 each
1 Betty Crocker Warm Delights @ $2.29 each
2 Morton Salt @ $0.99 each
2 Clearasil Face Wash @ $4.99 each
3 Kleenex Tissues @ $2.29 each
Total: $34.62

Used:
1 Wag Q: 2/$3 Flour, Man Q: 1 $0.50/1 Flour
1 Wag Q: $0.99 BC Warm Delight, Man Q: 1 $ 0.50/1 BC Warm Delight
1 Wag Q: 2/$1 Salt
Clearasil was Buy One, Get One Free (saved $4.99)
Man Q: 1 $2/1 Clearasil, 1 $1/1 Clearasil
3 Wag Q: Kleenex $1.09 per box
3 Man Q: $0.50/3 Kleenex
$5 Register Reward

I paid $4.81 for all of that! I still have $10 Register Rewards to use, which makes me nervous - I don't want it to expire before I use it! But I'm really going to be vigilant and make sure I use it up. Ahh, a good day's work.

1 comment:

  1. Great job Autie!!! I haven't been doing as much lately either. It seems I go thru spurts. I'll usually do a couple drugstore deals a week lately, but nothing crazy. I did do the Glade deal at Target...I got 10 candles! Going to post about it later tonight. My coupon box is pretty much set up exactly like yours, except I use an index card box. There are a couple categories I want to add and unfortunately not much room! So I made upgrade to a bigger box like yours. So glad you're feeling "invigorated"! Once you haven't done a deal for a while, it really is such a rush!!

    ReplyDelete