Friday, October 9, 2009

Fruitful Abundance

So my Handyman came home the other night with a 28 pound box of plums.


Crazy, I know. Who buys that many plums?! I couldn't believe it, and at first I wasn't very excited. Once he told me that he had paid $4 for the entire box, I had a change of heart. (That's only $0.14 a pound!)


My next question was: What do you DO with that many plums? Why, make Plum Jelly, of course!


I made 5 pints of Cinnamon Plum Jelly (I found the recipe here). It tastes really yummy, but I was disappointed that it came out pretty thin. I'm not really sure what caused it, although I did take the suggestion of a reviewer, and left the skins on rather than peeling the plums. I thought it might add more color and flavor, plus it was a lot less work. But maybe that's why it came out runny... It's really pretty though!


I still have lots of plums to work with, so I'm planning to make some more jelly, but I'm going to have to get creative and make some other things too. It could be fun.

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I kept wondering what you would use them for! Your handyman knows how to value good food! And your little Sweet Pea looks delighted with them, too! (= Your jam looks BEAUTIFUL.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YUM! Way to think creatively! :o)

    ReplyDelete