Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Gazelle Intense


Last night was week 4 of leading Financial Peace University. That's the Dumping Debt lesson. I've been a Dave Ramsey fan for a couple of years now. I've really enjoyed listening to his radio show, and I've listened to the older version of FPU on CD multiple times. And the first three weeks of the class have been great, we've gotten lots of motivational information with regard to managing our money.

But I have to say, last night's lesson was hands down the best I've seen of Dave Ramsey. Wow. I got goosebumps listening to him. The passion he communicated, the urgency of escaping the clutches of debt, the intensity that is needed in order to live a life of true freedom. It was electrifying. My Handyman and I don't even have any debt, and this lesson offered so much inspiration!!

I love the image that Dave uses from Proverbs 6 of the gazelle, running for it's life to escape the ferocious cheetah.

"My son, if you have become surety for your friend... if you have been trapped by what you said, ensnared by the words of your mouth, then do this, my son, to free yourself...Allow no sleep to your eyes no slumber to your eyelids. Free yourself, like a gazelle from the hand of the hunter, like a bird from the snare of the fowler." Proverbs 6:1-5

I love that the Bible speaks in such vivid terms about the dangers of debt. Isn't it amazing that our God cares so much about the everyday things we face in our lives? I mean, of course God cares if I'm facing a major health issue, or if my husband's lost his job. But he cares if I'm in debt and can't see any way out, too? And he cares enough to put in his Word an escape plan? I am humbled by the depth of love demonstrated through his Word.

I can't say enough about how well-presented and truly inspiring last night's lesson was. The discussion we had with the group afterward was really encouraging. We are journeying beside a group of people who truly crave financial peace, and last night's lesson offered the hope and inspiration to do the hard work to get there. There are good things in store!

2 comments:

  1. Fantastic! Thank you so much for sharing your thoughts. I was encouraged by reading this even though I did not attend the meeting. What great things God's people can do for God's Kingdom when we are not weighed down with debt!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited about you guys leading a class!! It's so easy to lose that intensity, and to start feeling like a little debt is okay, not a big deal... And yet a life of excellence stays focused on doing things WELL.

    ReplyDelete