Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Farmer's Market!


I have been eagerly anticipating my first chance to go to a local farmer's market, and today was the day! It wasn't a very great day for it weather-wise. It is dark and gray outside with a cool mist falling. But that didn't stop me! Right after my husband left for work, I loaded my Sweet Pea into the car and off we went. There were probably 10 or 12 different little booths set up by farmers from Indiana and Wisconsin. There weren't too many fruits available, but it was wonderful to look at all the fresh veggies! I bought fresh asparagus, and radishes, and a beautiful head of lettuce. I also purchased some rhubarb so I can make another batch of Rhubarb Dessert, which has quickly become my husband's favorite rhubarb delicacy.

The farmers also had a nice selection of potted herbs, which I was so excited to try. I had just been telling my husband last night that I've looked for a potted basil plant at a few different places, and haven't had any luck. I was thrilled to find one today at the farmer's market - isn't it beautiful?


As noted in another post, we haven't had a lot of luck growing things from seed in our apartment. I've decided that there just isn't a window sill where the seedlings can get enough sunlight to grow big and strong. They always grow long and spindly as they stretch toward the sunlight, but don't develop a stem that is strong enough to hold them upright. So I thought maybe a plant that is already established would fair better. We'll see!

I'm looking forward to supper tonight with some really fresh veggies!

1 comment:

  1. Oooh...I'm jealous! The asparagus is gone from our farmer's markets now... (= But we're getting lettuce and greens! I missed last week because our friends were visiting, so I can't wait for Saturday morning.

    ReplyDelete