Friday, February 26, 2010

Blessed be the name of the Lord


Two times this week I've received news that has made my head spin, heart sink, eyes brim.

This day, I received word that a friend, one I lived with, studied with, is gone. The shock waves have reverberated in my soul all day. She was but twenty-seven. Barely older than myself. But tonight she is gone. Her husband, her lover and best friend, is left to sleep in a cold, lonely bed. Her little girl, just two years old, is left to learn life without her mama. Her baby boy, not yet a year, is left without her tender arms to hold him. In a moment, she was taken. A clot of blood the alleged culprit.

Why God? How can this be? How could you allow this? Cause it? For the second time this week I have asked these questions. My heart aches for the pain of others. As these questions surge in my mind, almost simultaneously the Words of Life rise up from deep within.

At this, Job got up and tore his robe and shaved his head. Then he fell to the ground in worship and said: "Naked I came from my mother's womb, and naked I will depart. The LORD gave and the LORD has taken away; may the name of the LORD be praised."
(Job 1:20-21)

I sought the LORD, and He answered me, And delivered me from all my fears. They looked to Him and were radiant, And their faces will never be ashamed. This poor man cried, and the LORD heard him And saved him out of all his troubles. The angel of the LORD encamps around those who fear Him, And rescues them. O taste and see that the LORD is good; How blessed is the man who takes refuge in Him! (Psalm 34:4-8)

These Words of Life offer hope, consolation. Diving deep into this life-giving book slows the spinning crazy of this life. In it I find stability, as I am reminded of my Father's good intent for all who follow Him.

"For I know the plans I have for you," declares the Lord, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future." (Jeremiah 29:11)

And so, I draw near to Him. Cling to Him.
And drink in the promise of hope.

1 comment: