Saturday, February 13, 2010

Current Projects

This week I felt inspired to do some projects around the house. My first idea was to build a small shelf to put near the table in the kitchen. One of our goals for the new year is to read some Scripture together after supper every night. Quite honestly, we haven't done very well with it so far. It just hasn't been something that we think of after dinner. So we thought that if we had a shelf by the table where we could safely keep the Bible within reach, perhaps we will do better at remembering. So, here is the finished result:



I'm so pleased with how it came out. My Handyman really is handy!! He made the shelf out of some scraps of wood, and designed it all himself. I did the first coat of stain and poly, and he did the final coat. I am hopeful that this simple addition will help us stick to our goals.

The other project we've been working on is refinishing our kitchen table top. We bought the table six years ago, and there were several places where the finish had worn off, and it really just needed to be sanded down and refinished. So that's exactly what we did. Here's how it came out!


(Note the dust on the side that showed up only with the flash. Guess I have some cleaning to do still. =) ) It is SO nice to have a fresh table top. It's like having a new table, and it really came out beautifully! The stain doesn't match exactly, but it's close enough not to notice unless you really study it.

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE the shelf! And the habit you're trying to form. I really really love that shelf. It makes your intentions very firm. And easier.
    And your table looks great! Sure makes a difference, huh? Yay for a "new" table!!

    ReplyDelete